Pages

Tuesday 25 October 2016

Chapel Arms, St Mary's





Ha! I've just noticed that I put up a picture of the wrong pub!
That's been here for three years....

I've only been in here once, and that was with my nephew before Saints V Liverpool. Cracking atmosphere. The place was crowded with both home and away fans, and everything was good spirited. There was a gravity cask behind the bar, can't remember what it was, but I do remember the warm, happy, excited atmosphere. Not sure what the place would be like on non-match days. Apparently no cask beer is available on those days.

The Wikipedia article on St Mary's puts the pub in a district called Chapel, presumably from where the pub gets its name. Fairs used to be held here in the Middle Ages, then a residential area developed from where St Mary's Stadium is, down to the Central Bridge, but the houses were declared slums in the 1960s and the whole district was demolished, apart from the school and the pub. New residential dwellings have been built on the west side by the old railway line, but the rest of the site has been left for mixed industrial units.


Chapel Road before these buildings
were declared slums and demolished

My review on BITE for my match day visit in March 2015:

Basic, slightly tatty pub in an unattractive area with no shops or housing, but close to the Saints stadium, so absolutely heaving on match days with home and away supporters. Normally no cask beer, but two gravity casks available on match days. I liked the atmosphere when visiting before the Saints v Liverpool game, but I can't see myself coming here at any other time.


Albert Road North
St Mary's
SO14 5GB


Open from 12 Mon to Thurs, from 2 Fri to Sun.


* WhatPub
* BITE
* Trip Advisor


No comments:

Post a Comment