Pages

Sunday 1 January 2017

Overdraft, Shirley




Opened in Dec 2015, the Overdraft, with its outdoor seating on the main Shirley road, has been a success. Every time I drive past I see a large group of drinkers outside. I have only managed to visit twice in 2016 because of its restricted opening hours - but the hours have been extended now, so it opens at noon every day. My first visit was on my own in the early evening after dropping off my cat at The Vet when I managed to park right outside. Being early evening there wasn't much ambiance. There was one other customer, and he was taking advantage of the offer to have three thirds of either the cask or the keg beers. The kegs beers are more expensive, so you select one group or the other, paying a £1 more for the three thirds of keg beers. My second visit was during the November pub crawl with Ian when two of the beers we selected happened to be off, and we had to wait for new beers to be put on. It happens, but it was a little frustrating, and Ian in particular wasn't impressed. Music was supplied by a vinyl LP in the corner, though the pub has had live bands occasionally.




Not a hugely warm and comfortable or attractive place - seating is simply hard wooden benches or metal fold out chairs, and shabby chic has a limited appeal for me. There is a temporary feel about the place, as though it's not quite ready. There has been a lack of ambiance on my visits, which is probably due to there being not many people; on the other hand it does appear to get crowded at times, which doesn't always suit me, so I may not be visiting this place that much, particularly as there's no food, and I am unsure if they have a children's licence. The chap behind the bar was nice, though on neither visit did we chat much. I like that the hours have extended, and it's a potentially useful place to pop into when in the area to see what new beers they have.





Overdraft, 383 Shirley Road SO15 3JD
Micro-craft beer bar


* Facebook
* WhatPub
* Trip Advisor

***


November 2016 Pub Crawl


No comments:

Post a Comment