Pages

Wednesday 22 March 2017

The Englishman, Shirley






Small, corner location local pub. During the early 20th century these Victorian pubs were on almost every street corner. Few survive today.

This one is tucked away somewhere in the residential streets between Shirley Precinct to the north, Millbrook to the southwest and Freemantle to the southeast.  Because it is so tucked away, I've not yet visited. Not even seen the building.

Date: March 2017 


  

  

At last I have visited The Englishman. A two room pub, though the back room is only open in the evening; as I visited in the afternoon I only saw the front bar, which is long and narrow, with no tables. There are stools by the bar and alongside a breakfast shelf opposite the bar. Half the space in the room is taken up with a pool table.  


 
Draught selection is all keg


The pub doesn't offer food beyond packets of crisps, and all draught beers are keg. I had a San Miguel, which had a tang of sourness from uncleaned pipes. In future in such pubs I will order bottled or canned beers. I chatted cheerfully with the landlady, who was pleasant, but clearly more interested in continuing her conversation with one of her regulars. 


 
One of the regulars, watching the tv
on the wall beyond the pool table


There were two regulars during my visit, one had his back to me, and the other was hidden by the fruit machine. They ignored me for a while, but I inserted myself into their conversation about aliens, and we did then have a friendly and enjoyable chat. I often find in these traditional locals that you have to make a little bit of effort with the regulars, but the effort is usually rewarded. I found the atmosphere relaxed, laid back, and once I got chatting with the regulars, friendly and welcoming. 


 
Breakfast shelf, and the other regular
hidden by the fruit machine


This is clearly a locals pub with minimal offering: it is plain and ordinary with little comfort and no food, but it does have a TV, a pool table, some beers and crisps, and is unpretentious. I doubt I'll visit again, and I doubt it will continue for long - it reminded me of such pubs as the Hare & Hounds, Bitterne, The Waggoners Arms, Portswood,  Grove Tavern, Woolston, and The Freemantle, Shirley - all of which have closed.  But it does have its appeal, and it does serve the local community. It's not a destination pub, but then it doesn't aim to be. 


Date: Sept 2022   Score: 4 



Englishman
18 English Road 
Shirley
SO15 8QF

No cask

Open 11am - Midnight
No food

* WhatPub
* BITE
* Daily Echo
* Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment