Pages

Thursday 23 March 2017

The Cowherds, Portswood





Country pub on the edge of Southampton Common. Intensely popular with diners, so advisable to book, especially at the weekend.  We like it here in the bar area for drinks and a snack, less fond of it for meals as it can feel a little cramped and soulless in the dining area, and service - while friendly and professional - can be a little slow.


Date: March 2017    Score:  5 






Visited the Cowherds after a long time (last time was when Chrissie and I had a farewell dinner for a friend, who was leaving the UK for a job in Spain). Came for lunch with Lyn on one of our Sibling Days. Booked a table in the bar area as I find the restaurant area to be a little lacking in character compared to the bar area.  Cowherds is usefully placed in a corner of the Common, so is popular both as a pub, and a convenient parking area. Since my last visit the pub has introduced a parking scheme, whereby you have to enter your registration number in a console just to the right of the bar. This allows you a generous parking period. 

  
The charm of the bar area


The mediocre cask beer selection







I lost my review. Why is it always the reviews I spend time on, with loads of research that I end up losing? I will get around to writing it up again at some point.....



Date: Aug 2022   Score: 6 


The Avenue
SO15 7NN

Vintage Inns (Mitchells & Butler)


*  Pub website
* TripAdvisor
* WhatPub
* PubHistory
* BITE

***

Portswood




No comments:

Post a Comment