Pages

Sunday 1 September 2019

Marco's (formerly Simons at Oxford), Oxford Street




A bar and restaurant in popular and trendy Oxford Street, where eating and drinking while sitting at tables in Continental style on the pavement in the evening is the cool thing to do. 

Calm interior
Though a restaurant, there is a bar area that serves just drinks. Often has live music at the bar. It is popular to sit outside on the pavement.



The lads who lunch descended on Simons the week they reopen after lockdown. We sit outside, as that is the tradition at Simons. The seating is thoughtfully arranged into smoking and non-smoking sections. Plus points for that. We ask about the beers, but are given names of a handful of boring lagers. The best they can offer is cold Guinness. So be it.

The menu is quite inviting - one of the best I have seen in a restaurant since lockdown. Some places can manage it, while others are still struggling - well done to Simons for making the "new normal" as close to the old normal as possible.

Guinness and moules. Cheers! 

Myles has the soup of the day, while I have the moules in a particularly creamy sauce. I'm not given fresh bread - I have lightly scorched toast. First time I've had toast with moules, but it works OK. I would have preferred fresh bread, but the toast is a reasonable alternative. I am quibbling, because I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch, including the toast and the Guinness. But I know I would have enjoyed it better with a decent ale and some fresh bread. So be it.



I like the scheme for the toilet where you take an engaged card and leave it on the toilet door. Best scheme I have seen so far. All in all I enjoyed the place. Good food, attentive service, and a pleasant atmosphere. Our lunch choices were from the starter menu, which was just the right size for us, and the whole came to just over £20. This was my first visit. I enjoyed it, and would be happy to come back.



The place is both bar and restaurant, so customers are welcome to sit and just have drinks - though the selection is very limited, so for drinks best go to another place in Oxford Street. 

Date: July 2020    Score: 7 

  


By April 2022 the name had changed to Marco's. The old website redirects (eventually) to the new one,  so it is unclear if this is just a rebranding or a change of ownership.  All previous reviews on TripAdvisor have been deleted on request from Marco's. 

Date: Sept 2022  Score: N/A 


35-36 Oxford Street
Southampton
SO14 3DS

Open Tues-Sun Noon to 11pm 

No comments:

Post a Comment