Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2019

The Bistro (previously Cove; Waterfront Bar), Shamrock Quay, Northam




Consulting my PubStops map and WhatPub, I noticed that I had missed a bar on Shamrock Quay. Indeed, I had missed out on Shamrock Quay completely - I had never been there. 

The outside when called The Cove

So, picking up Myles for our weekly pub lunch, we headed out to Shamrock Quay.  Useful, because Myles needed to pick up a couple of things from the chandlers, and while we were there he also got some fresh fish from the excellent fishmongers.  The quay is a cool place, with a nice view of the Itchen river, though it's in a slightly isolated and unprepossessing location, tucked away quite hidden in Northam. 

View from the quay

I had been slightly concerned from recent reviews that the place might not be open. And, sure enough, it's closed, with "To Let" signs in the windows.


Interior (when it reopens)

The place is being advertised for sale at £125,000 - which seems quite reasonable considering its condition and location, though that is for a 20 year lease which costs £33,000 a year. When it was open it was reviewed by the very confident SouthamptonGirl, Elisha Jade, who manages to blag free meals for herself and her family in return for glowing reviews.

Ellisha Jade, the SouthamptonGirl.
 She loves herself! 

I hope someone does buy it and continue it as a bar. Shamrock Quay is a decent location to visit.

Date: Sept 2019


Myles with his Guinness - my two beers waiting for me on the table

Having read in the Daily Echo that the bar, now named The Bistro, had opened, Myles and I ventured out to Shamrock Quay once again. Success! The place is open, and while it has yet to bed in and generate a lunch-time crowd to fill out the space, we found it a charming venue with delightful food and friendly, attentive service. I had mussels with bread for under £8 and found it very tasty, filling, and excellent value. I was also pleased that there were two beers on offer, Shed Head and Angelo, that I'd not come across before.



We were both impressed with the venue and the food, and are highly likely to come back.

Date: Nov 2019   Score: 8


Unit 2, Shamrock Quay, 
William Street
SO14 5QL

***

No comments:

Post a Comment