Pages

Friday 28 June 2019

The Bittern, Bitterne








This pub totally fascinated me when I first visited it around 2015-2016. The building itself was fascinating, its interior was fascinating, the condition it was in was fascinating, its history was fascinating, and the stand the locals were taking to keep it open were fascinating. I thought I had lost the original pictures I took, but I just found these.

I was sure I had written a long and detailed piece on the history of the place as I remember doing a lot of research and writing it up. But I can't find it. I may have typed it into my blog then lost it. That happens to me more frequently than it should, and a number of pubs have little or no comment on them because I may have spent an hour or more doing some research and typing it in, only to have some glitch or some mistake by me make the whole lot vanish. And I then lose heart in doing it all again.

I will come back and write some more about the history of this place. At the moment it is closed because of an incident this year (2019) in which a man was killed. I'll look into if there is a possibility that it will be reopened, because while the refurbishment that the pub had (and needed) took away a lot of the original charm, there was still enough of interest in the place to make it an attractive place to come. And they had a lovely play area outside for the kids, and did food.

Date: June 2019  Score: 8 

Update: Appears to be open again according to the pub's Facebook page.
 
Date: July 2019

Popped in with Myles for lunch. Two casks. Decent pub food. Friendly staff. Good clean interior, though has lost some character. 

Date: March 2020    Score: 5 


Large beer garden at the back is open for food and drink. 

Date: April 2021 


The Bittern  -
26 Thornhill Park Road 
SO18 5TQ

Punch

Children allowed until the evening.
Meals all day

11 to 11 Mon to Sat
12 to 10.30 Sun


WhatPub
Bite
FaceBook
* Website

***

Pubs in Bitterne



No comments:

Post a Comment