Pages

Tuesday 18 July 2017

The Frog & Frigate, Ocean Village







This is a somewhat legendary pub on Canute Road alongside Ocean Village which reopened in March 2015. It's only open on weekend evenings as it's a party pub where people dance on the tables. Two to three cask beers available.

The ambiance. Girls just love my hat. 

I love this place - but you have to go on the right night. I've been on a Friday with my son, and the band was playing golden oldies, and everyone was having a right ol' time. Good mix of ages. Good mix of men and women. Brilliant atmosphere. This is how all pubs should be.

I been here with Ian on a Saturday on the November Beer Crawl, and it was again a good atmosphere, though it was more crowded than on the Friday, and the average age of the customers was probably nearing 50. A woman asked me to give her a lift up onto a table, and I was somewhat concerned because of her size as I have a back injury, but we somehow managed it. Phew.

I have been here on a Thursday with my wife. And it was pretty dead and dull. All students. All listening earnestly to someone playing original folk music. Eyes all looked at us as we came in. Nobody smiled. And there was some sense of perplexity and irritation at our interruption.

I recommend going on a Friday or Saturday.

There are now comedy nights on the first Monday of the month. See the updated events list here.

Date: July 2017   Score: 10


Popped in with the boys after seeing The Costellos at The Joiners, around 10.30, and the place was surprising quiet. There was the usual acoustic busker belting out great singalong oldies in his alcove, but the place was half empty, and nobody was dancing.  We ordered some beers (can't remember what, even though it was just last night!) and bunch of people came in, which upped the mood a bit. I did a bit of line dancing, but only four people joined in, so it more of a hyphen than a line. Yeah, the music was good, and I still love the place, but the actual ambiance will vary depending on what crowd are in.

Date: Aug 2019   Score: 8.5


33 Canute Road
Ocean Village
SO14 3FJ
Open 7.30pm Thurs, Fri and Sat. - These times may not be reliable. It appears that these days the Frog only operates regularly on Friday and Saturdays with rather late opening hours - after 11pm on Friday, and after 9pm on Saturday. The comedy nights are now few and far between. The last I am aware of was in May 2019, and it cost £3 to enter.

* Website
* WhatPub
* BITE
* Trip Advisor 



No comments:

Post a Comment