Pages

Saturday 17 September 2016

Grove Tavern, Woolston (Closed)




Large 1920s/1930s "roadhouse" pub, built at the same time as the neighbouring estate. Large beer garden, and two bars. It's a little too large these days, but manages to keep itself going, and has recently been redecorated. The car park space out front is popular with the locals as there are parking restrictions in the area. Serves at least one cask ale. I've only been in once. It was OK, and it would be interesting to go back on a weekend with the family, but there's something about the place that doesn't grab me. On my visit only the smaller public bar was open. There were several seats in the corners, all occupied, and a large empty space in the middle of the room. It felt sparse and unwelcoming. I tried chatting, but nobody was interested in keeping up a conversation with me.

Date:  Sept 2016  Score: 4 

***


Just had a flyer through the door with news that there is an application at the council to demolish the pub and build houses. Even though I go past most days, I hadn't realised the place had been closed since March. I also just found out that CAMRA have it listed as having a regionally interesting historic interior.

May 2017


***

The place is not yet closed. They are struggling on. Showing big football matches on sports TV. 

July 2017 


***





Definitely closed now. Demolition fence is up. A lot of people in Swift Road have now lost their parking space!

Sept 2017 




Nov 2017 



68-70 Swift Road
SO19 9FN


* WhatPub
* FaceBook 

Pubs in Woolston

No comments:

Post a Comment