Pages

Thursday 2 November 2017

Fox and Hounds, Bitterne




Traditional back street old geezers pub. No food, no children. Two cask beers, London Pride and Wainwrights on my visit, so nothing exciting. Attractive unspoilt public bar, drab lounge. Bar billiards in the lower lounge, and a useful beer garden. 


Bar billiards in the lower bar


Its OK, but the nearby Wadworths is better on all counts. OK for locals, but little of interest to anyone visiting the area.

Date: Dec 2017. Score: 5


General ambiance


Tried again. I think this is my third visit. The public bar is full of old fidgets. I say hello, but there's little response. It feels like a local pub for local people. One cask on, Goodens Gold. Cards not accepted. I pay cash and get some shrapnel to fill my pockets. I check out the beer garden. Quite plain, with some fences down. More old fidgets, all smoking. Indeed, you have to walk past the smokers to get into the garden itself. I start up a conversation. It's a struggle. It doesn't go far.


Only one cask beer available


There are things to like about this place, but it does feel stuck in the past. The conversations are moans punctuated by a fair bit of "fuck" and the occasional "cunt", so it's not cheerful, charming, or uplifting. But it is what it is. And the locals form a self-supporting group happy to chat and banter among themselves. If you're part of the gang, fine, but if you're not it feels a little off-putting.

Date: Sept 2019.  Score: 3 1/2



106 Pound Street
Bitterne
SO18 6BP

Open: 11am to 11pm
No food.
No children allowed (I suspect due to the casual swearing - it's likely the regulars would feel restricted with kids around)

Enterprise Inns

***

Pubs in Bitterne

Enterprise Inns (Ei Group)


No comments:

Post a Comment